Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Good Week and Congratulating Myself

So, after a bit of drama with people who decide they know best (read: better) than I do about reading my dog and what he needs....we had a pretty good week.

While he wasn't a rock star at agility, he was: focused, calm, and willing to work for me.  His recall was great when he wandered a few times.  Nice.  He was calm and able to work in rally obedience.  In a 5-minute down across from his arch nemesis, Leon, the black lab....Leon kept creeping toward him while in a down.  Sagan watched, and would look at me each time for treats.  Super nice.

I decided too, since I am tired of being criticized (including by me, since I'm my own worst critic), I would make a list of all the lovely things I do for Sagan.  Yeah, this is just to make me feel better:

1) I researched agility places, and take him somewhere where we kennel dogs inbetween runs.
2) I take him to rally obedience classes, and have taken him to some obedience class since he was about 9 weeks old.
3) I take him swimming, because it is great exercise, and he doesn't have to interact with dogs there.
4) I take him running, and stop my run or alter my run to avoid other dogs or do protocols appropriately.
5) I take him on walks, and stop or alter the walk to avoid other dogs or do protocols appropriately.
6)  I have read at least 6 behavior books in an effort to persist in what is often an unsuccessful venture to get him calm around other dogs.
7) I keep a socialization log about how things are working (or not).
8) I've consulted two different behaviorists about what I can do for him, and practice those things on a regular basis.
9) I bought him an agility jump so we can practice at home.
10)  I take him to a doggie daycare that screens dogs, so I know he isn't getting bullied, and is getting good socialization off leash.
11)  I lather up Sagan's feet with paw toughener and Musher's wax so he doesn't rip up his paw pads at daycare.
12)  I bought Sagan dog toys to feed his meals to him in to exercise his brain.
13)  I took him to private agility classes as a pup to work on our relationship stuff.
14) I got him 100 free tennis balls from the local tennis club. :-)
15) I hand make bags of treats to use for socialization and classes.
16) I set up protocols with other dogs we know we can trust so he can work on his issues.

I'll add to this list as I think of more today.  I really am doing what I can, so I'll just have to wait and see if he gets a little better with some more maturity.

A fun picture for giggles.  Ross and I watched a movie last night on the Apple TV.  Sagan developed an obsession with the clicking noise coming from the remote.  Awesome.  LOL


Also, Sagan met Tonka, a 4-month old Mastiff puppy, who belongs to Donnelle and Jason.  While we didn't do any nose to nose greetings, Sagan did great with this, and OMG, is Tonka CUTE.


No comments:

Post a Comment